Monday, May 10, 2010

Killing the monster

“Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public.”

Winston Churchill


This is a fabulous quote, and far far too true. In the first stage of writing stories can go anywhere-especially if you are a more “organic” or seat of the pants type writer like me ;). My stories can and do go many places that I really wasn’t expecting. But luckily they are usually very interesting places so it’s all good.

The joy of doing multiple projects at the same time (a step into madness I’m sure) is that I’m in various stages of Churchill’s quote- all at the same time.

1) A Curious Invasion- my homage to steampunk, Torchwood, and spy stories everywhere is crossing into the mistress stage. Long enough to have moved out of the toy and amusement stage, it’s now becoming a bit bossy.

2)Glass Gargoyle (full title is very long…it fits the style of that book, but is hard on the fingers) has crossed into the master stage. BUT, my mistress in the paragraph above is making it less stressful. However I do feel a bit like I’m cheating on the faeries , dancing minkies, and general mayhem of the Glass Gargoyle. The end is in sight- I can almost see it…but for a challenge in my local RWA chapter I need to concentrate on the little tart up above.

3)Warrior Wench- ahh the tyrant rears her gun toting, explosive loving head- and she is really ready to make my life hell if I don’t finish editing her and inflict her on the agents and whatnot in the literary world. She lives up to her name, and will take down any that get in her way. Currently, I’m hiding from her behind the other two projects. But I have high hopes that in the not too distant future, others will enjoy a bit o’snark with their SF explosions as she is unleashed.

Ok, enough longing around- there are beings in charge of my life- and they demand to be written.

No comments:

Post a Comment