Ok, I am chomping at the bit AND nervous about NaNo (aka NaNoWriMo) next month. I’m excited because it’s always good to challenge yourself and see just what you’re made of. And NaNo is the ultimate writing challenge where the only person you are racing against is yourself.
I’m also nervous for pretty much the same reasons ;).
I have a number of friends who while intrigued by the concept of NaNo have yet to commit (ok, so some have said “Hell no!” but I’m still optimistic.). In honor of the date of impending madness, I thought I’d come up with my own top five reasons for doing NaNo- feel free to add to it ;).
5. Bragging rights- seriously there are only a few folks insane enough to try this. Watch your friend’s faces when you tell them what you are doing!
4. Finding new ways to pad your word counts can be a helpful skill in some fields (politics anyone?)
3. Discovering alternative food sources. Time is fleeting during NaNo- therefore definitions of meals become very flexible.
2. An excuse NOT to clean! Some may not need an excuse, but for others this is a month of freedom, “Honey, I’m writing over 1600 words a day- you’ll just have to do all the laundry.”
1. Developing the ability to take your inner editor, gag her, and shove her in a dark closet.
Add to the list! And if you're NOT doing it- why not?