Wednesday, February 7, 2018

#IWSG Genre

Hello and welcome to the monthly gathering of writers known as the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Join us!




Today's blogging question was what do you love about the genre you mostly write in. For those of you how haven't figured out by my blog--I write fantasy, SF, and steampunk. Since they all live in the same section of the bookstore, I'm going to treat them as a single genre.

First off, I do read fantasy/SF/steampunk, but I also read mysteries and romance. But my heart is in my geeky genre. 

I love the freedom that writing in my genre gives my imagination. As long as I keep things consistant to the world I've made, I'm free to go where I want and take my readers (and myself) on a grand adventure.

I don't write hard SF, mine is of the space opera or lighter variety. Think more Star Wars. I don't discuss the mechanics of my ships or weapons, just what they do. Nothing against hard SF--but I don't read it, and it's not my cuppa tea. Mine is more fantasy with blasters and starships. 

Fantasy can go anywhere. My current series is a humorous one. I also have two that are more epic, one that is urban fantasy-ish (major changes to our world during the time of the Black Plague makes it not our world now), steampunk fantasy, etc. Fantasy is a big, broad umbrella that has as many options as a writer can come up with.

My steampunk isn't very punky-LOL. I'd call it an Alternative Victorian SF Adventure. There are vamps. There are also some very determined aliens. These are fun in that the pacing is different. Yes, it's adventure, so there are things happening, but the word choices are very different from the other two. More stops for tea along the way ;).

So, I write what I love--including books I wanted to read but couldn't find anywhere else.

Happy IWSG day!

17 comments:

  1. Fantasy/SF/steampunk definitely allow you to be more imaginative. Hard science fiction is tough and not my cuppa tea either. I could never write it convincingly enough.

    Fantasy can go anywhere, which is why it's such a fun genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the flexibility of fantasy. I've written everything from takeoff on Greek myths to second-world Victorian fantasy, and I'm currently working on an urban fantasy set partly in my college town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun? I It sounds like you are having a blast-great worlds you have there!

      Delete
  3. I like my science fiction a bit lighter. Actually, I like it best when fantasy and science are mixed together into a blend. That way I get the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I know there are folks out there writing amazing hard SF, but I want more fantasy in my SF ;).

      Delete
  4. When I do read scifi, I go for the lighter stuff. I'm not into tech specs, only the adventures and the explosions. :) I prefer to cater to my geeky side too.

    Loni

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring not only freedom to what you write but a wonderful sense of fun. They all sound great. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like to have fun when I read, so I try to carry that into what I write.

      Delete
  6. Though I grew up reading some hard sci-fi, I ended up kind of growing out of it, I guess. Maybe it was when I had less time to invest in reading, so didn't have the patience for the technicalities? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of our reading choices change as we get older?

      Delete
  7. Why write stories that occur in the same world as everyone else's when you can write about an entirely new world with rules, magic, creatures, and cultures you create? Fantasy is my cuppa tea too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you on that lat part. My favorite books tend to be a merging of genres in unconventional ways, but probably just because I read as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved Robin Cook movies, but not the books because they get too technical with the mechanics. I rather get the gist from the context of the story. Soft sci-fi is fun to read; I love the world building and interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantasy with blasters and starships sounds like loads of fun to write!
    With regards to Steampunk, I get a bit mixed up with the genre. Is it supposed to include some sort of steam-based technology but set in an alternate world? Something along those lines?

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete