Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The importance of readers- Tom and Libby

This blog came up because a few folks have asked me who Tom & Libby are. They are in the dedication for Defiant Ruin (go check your copy, I'll wait ;)).

Tom and Libby were an amazing couple of a certain age who loved books. And they loved supporting authors and their favorite bookstore, Mysterious Galaxy. They were there at the first event I signed at, a larger local author signing mixer. They were both tiny and the type of folks you would love for grandparents. Smart, articulate, interested in life.

They bought my first book and only wanted it signed because it was a "collectors item". They were so sweet and excited for me to start my writing career--and they had just met me. I seriously thought about them and how happy they made a scared, brand new author feel for weeks.

They were at almost every event and Mysterious Galaxy would bring out very nice chairs for them to sit up front. They'd buy a book, chat, and just be amazing.

I don't even know their last name.  And honestly, it doesn't matter.

Those two really made an impact on me as an author and as a person I'd like to be.

A few months ago, Mysterious Galaxy announced they had both passed away. I don't know from what, I'd like to think they both went peacefully in their sleep. I know I wasn't the only person who was impacted by their loss. They were a special couple. They loved books. They loved authors.

RIP Tom and Libby--I hope you are surrounded by books and loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. The early fans are the ones you remember most. Here's to Tom and Libby.

    ReplyDelete