Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Asking all writers- what is your FAV writing book?

I was pondering my vast collection of writing books and it got me to thinking- what is my favorite, most influential book? I'd have to say Techniques of a Selling Writer by Dwight Swain. It's an older book- but you can really see where most writing books got their start ;).

What about you? Published or not-lurkers or not... what is your ONE "must have" book? I'd like to post a list on this blog for folks- so if you have more than one- please mention it!

6 comments:

  1. Definitely can't stop at just one! Some of my favorites:

    Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass
    Strunk & White Elements of Style
    Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder
    On Writing by Stephen King (for inspiration!)
    Hooked by Les Edgerton
    How Not to Write A Novel by Mittlemark and Newman

    Lots of others, but I won't be greedy and list all of the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No question, for me it's "Save the Cat!" by Blake Snyder. Helps you get the elements of a great story down first -- then build with all the other great techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, like Angela, can't stop at one...

    1.The War of Art – Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield
    2. Bird by Bird – Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
    3. The Courage to Write – How Writers Transcend Fear by Ralph Keyes
    4. Word Painting – A Guide to Writing More Descriptively by Rebecca McClanahan
    5. Immediate Fiction – A Complete Writing Course by Jerry Cleaver

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favs are:
    1. Plot vs Character by Jeff Gerke
    2. Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott
    3. Story by Robert Mckee
    4. Dialogue by Gloria Kempton
    5. Goals, Motivation, Conflicts by Debra Dixon

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Favorites are:
    1. Screenplay by Syd Field
    2. On Writing by Stephen King
    3. Save the Cat by Blake Snyder
    4. Character Traits by Linda N. Edelstein, PH.D.
    5. Writing The Paranormal Novel by Steven Harper

    ReplyDelete