Wednesday, January 6, 2016

#IWSG- This writing gig

First blog of 2016! And it’s the Insecure Writer’s Support Group Day! How awesome is that?

For those of you who don't know what that is, hop over to the mothership and find out!  http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/


Today will be a bit of a ramble about choosing to become a writer.

 Unlike some folks, I didn’t start off grade school knowing I was going to be a writer. Until second grade, words and letters (and sometimes numbers) were all back-asswards for me. After two years of re-training my brain, they started going to right way ;) (most of the time- don’t ask me to total your bill at a restaurant if I’m tired ;)).

But I did always tell stories in my head. And recently, I came across a single page story from probably 5th grade. It was kinda goofy, but not bad for a 10 year old, and I got an A!  I honestly don’t remember it at all but it was fun to find. My mom had saved it, and not really much else, so it must have been important to her (and probably me).

I do recall writing a play in 6th grade, and loving it because folks laughed (like they were supposed to—not at me ;)). I briefly thought I'd do more writing, since my teacher loved it, the class loved it, and I loved their reaction. 

But,then sort of forgot about writing- until Star Wars came out. I remembered writing basically a Brady Bunch type story (not them, but a big family) but I used names from Star Wars.  I showed my great aunt who was visiting and she said it would be great to have a writer in the family. I was so excited. Then nothing. Kids get distracted, there were new and other things to do.

When I was about 18 or so I started on my first real book. I have since stolen names (Vaslisha Tor Dain from the upcoming Warrior Wench was one) ideas, situations from it…but its body is lost to time. Again, I sort of wandered away from the writing idea.

Then a few more years later I started another book. The Essence of Chaos. Took forever to finish since I’d put it down for years at a time, then have to edit the crap out of it when I drifted back to it. It’s salvageable (unlike that first book) but not sure when it will be out. Actually wrote the entire second book and started the third.

Then nothing.

About seven or eight or so years ago I fell back into writing. Worked on The Essence of Chaos- Then started a new book-The Glass Gargoyle. Then wrote a few more 'first-books-in-series'. After all of these years, I think I may have finally hit on something, as even though I still have “non-writing days” they are usually days, not months or years.

When I look at how much writing kept poking at me, and I kept trying to walk away, and yet kept coming back, it just boggles my mind. For good or bad, it looks like I’m stuck with this writing affliction. So hope ya all like reading!


18 comments:

  1. OMG, your numbers scramble when you're tired too? Twins, I tell you. I also loved writing when I was in high school. I'd beam if the teacher chose my essay to read to the class. Then college came and I forgot about writing. Then working came and I forgot about writing. Then I took it up and wrote a book long enough to put War and Peace to shame which had everything in it, including the kitchen sink. I've learned brevity, mostly, and now have about six novels under my belt.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Just don't let us try to pay bills together! ;).

      Delete
  2. Sometimes things take a bit to stick. Lucky for us, this did. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I think the Universe was wondering just how dense I could be ;). But I eventually figured it out!

      Delete
  3. Same here with loving reading and stories at various times, but it wasn't until my late 20s I even attempted to write fiction. It took a few tries to even get started. Thanks for sharing your journey :)

    Here's my January IWSG post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got started, no matter what age it was :).

      Delete
  4. Heck, I hated writing up until about 8 years ago when I discovered how much fun it was to write fiction. Of course, if I had known how much I had to learn about writing, I might have dropped my pen in horror and run away. Glad you're feeling comfortable with being an author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one thing about writing, there is always more to learn :). Thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. The writing muse is persistent! Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a fantastic 2016. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finding your writing mojo and feeling energized by it all. Have a wonderful 2016 full of lots of inspiration. Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had my story in my head since I was 15 and it's taken me this long to write it. (FYI, I'm older than 15 now...) I've always enjoyed writing, did a bit here and there, but it wasn't until a few years ago did I actually sit down and do it for real.

    Glad to see you did the writing. I enjoy the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And hey, maybe your story just needed to wait for the right time to come out ;).

      Delete
  8. Sounds a lot like my writing story. I call myself a hobby writer because i just don't have the fortitude to do it consistently. But i love it when a story is unfolding on the page.

    Not the worst affliction to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're just moving towards doing it consistently-ya never know!

      Delete
  9. Once that writing bug bits you, you're lost. It's like we can't not write. Best wishes for 2016.

    ReplyDelete