Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Can't stop writing, the words will eat me.

The title of this piece is taken from a very cute t-shirt "Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me" as well as from today's quote:

"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die."
Isaac Asimov

But it's true-the title not the clowns...although the clown fear may have merit as well.

I speak of needing to write- desperately needing to write. Even when you really don't want to write at that moment, you desperately need to have written.

It's not that I can't turn off my creative side to work my normal mundane job, sadly, like most people I'm able to turn off my creative self far too easily. The trick is to not let it stay off for too long. I think creativity can be pushed aside easily in our culture. We're almost trained to do so as we work our way through the educational system.

But if we do it too long, we die. We forget how to paint, or sing, or write. Our normal state becomes one of non-creation. Stagnation. Watching the creations of others, but not engaging in it ourselves.

The words, the magic we had to create, to explore our reality in a manner to which we see fit- get taken away.

The flip side of this is that if we DO stay in touch with our creative side- we have to let it out for a good run fairly often for our own sanity.

Or the words- like the clowns- will eat us.

Eh, a rambling blog, but I've done my 1000 words on my WIP and have a need for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment