Wednesday, December 5, 2018

#IWSG--Year end

Welcome to another chapter of the Insecure Writer's Support Group--join us!



 I'm going to take this chance to look back at 2018 in my writing world. Insecurities can build from the past and how we view it, so might as well face it head on.

This year I'd planned on getting four novels and one novella out. Now, these weren't all NEW writing. One book was done and in edits, another almost done. So two brand new books, and one finish up & edit, one edit, and one brand new novella for an anthology.

Pretty ambitious, if I do say so myself--especially with that full time day job.

I didn't make it.

I got out three books and the novella. I'm still writing the fourth and since it was so late it's looking like a spring release.

And I'm fine with it.

Years ago, I'd be freaked, or at the least feel like a failure. Or would have tried to destroy myself and write a bad book just to meet my self imposed deadline. Nope. I'm still damn proud of what I did accomplish. And this book I'm working on is the final Lost Ancients book--so there is no way I'm playing fast and loose with it. Just like Defiant Ruin which came out in October was the final book in the Asarlai Wars trilogy. I took my time with it (and got banned from Amazon pre-orders for a year for my diligence. Eh, I'm okay with that too.).

I also gained an agent this year. She's the one who will look at audio and foreign rights (you know anyone who wants those, I can send you her way ;)). She'll also see about possibly selling a few new projects to trads next year when they're ready. There's no way I'd give up self-publishing --but a good trad contract can help build exposure. Emphasis on good. If that doesn't happen, they will be coming out my way. Advantage of having a number of successful indie books out--I know it can be done. I'm not going to look at a bad offer just to get my books out there.

That sort of describes 2018 writing-wise for me. I have nine books and a novella out. I KNOW I can do this. I also now know it's the journey of doing it that's important. 

Happy IWSG day!

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great year. Ever onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's better to set the bar high and fall a little short than set the bar low and not make it over. It will soon be a new year and a new bar. Aim high. Miss small. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a fabulous year! :) My self imposed deadlines nag at me, but I'm trying to be kinder to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see I'm not the only one who wants an agent. I hope next year brings you much success. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's quite the year. I head for self-made deadlines but rarely make it. Which is fine. Life's adventure is what feeds stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very successful year! I'm happy if I can get two books out. Hope the agent brings great things for you in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three books? With a full time job? That's amazing! I think your output was exceptional, your goals were just set a little too high. :-) Good luck with meeting all your targets for 2019!

    IWSG December

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic year and progress! It's good you've arrived at a place of not beating yourself up if you don't meet all your goals when pushing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have had a GREAT year. I planned to release 3 books this year. Didn't make it. We do what we can. Best wishes for a great month. If you want help promoting your new release, contact me for a blog spot. dmburton72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moley! That's amazing! It takes me at least two years to write a book. I'm the slowest writer in all the land. Congratulations on your books! You rocked this year!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  11. How does your agent feel about you possibly not going trad publishing? Seems like she can't make much money unless you do. And three books this year is nothing to feel bad about. I'd be happy with one. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a win to me. Congratulations on the agent.

    ReplyDelete