Wednesday, December 2, 2020

#IWSG- Seasonal slow downs

 Welcome to another round of the Insecure Writer's Support Group!

Each month, writers from all over join to support each other as we toss or fears out into the world!




Join us!  https://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/p/iwsg-sign-up.html


Each month a question is suggested for a blog idea. This month's was dealing with times of the year when someone is more productive in their writing.

I'm switching it up a bit-- I'm doing when  I am less productive.

I realized last year (probably before that, but didn't pay attention ;))-- that I don't do well in summer. Even this summer, where I was in my house all of the time, and working remotely, I did less than other times of the year.

I don't have kids beyond the furry kind, so it's not that. 

But, I do work for a college-- and unless you are one of those magical unicorns, a ten-month employee, summer is very busy. We're wrapping up the prior year, setting up the next, and dealing with the summer students. 

When I sat back and looked at it, I realized that even though I would work the same amount of hours--that intensity just wiped me out.  

The problem is, I don't always look at things like that--but I need to. Knowing when and how you write best and what things can shut you down, is essential for a writer.

So, I guess my best times to write are the other nine months of the year ;). And I'm going to start paying more attention to my writing time!

When are your best times? (or worse ;)).

Happy IWSG Day!




11 comments:

  1. I tend to write more during winter, but it varies a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading that a lot of IWSG members find summer a lower-productivity time. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOO! That is interesting! I wonder if it's something most writers face? Thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  3. I tutor students in chemistry online, and when the pandemic hit, my sessions dropped to nearly zero, so I should have had a more productive spring and summer, but I didn't. A lack of organization on my part didn't allow me to use that extra time for writing as much as I should have. Now that students are returning for tutoring in even higher numbers than before, I wish I would have been more productive back then. Still I'm working on final edits of my urban fantasy, so I can't complain too much. Thank goodness I'm not depending upon being a productive author to keep my family fed.

    Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to have things change so drastically, a lot of folks with free time did far less than they'd hoped. Good on ya for more students and for the final edits! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. That really is true--my slow down in summer is more related to what's going on, than anything else. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get less done in summer, but it typically has to do with me being distracted by things outside. I love to be outside. And I don't find writing on the back porch terribly comfortable, so I get easily distracted when I try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter is the worst tie for me. Gray skies put me in a funk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a number of people who don't do well when it's gray.

      Delete