Wednesday, April 21, 2010

AIC FOK

The title of this post is Ass in chair, fingers on keyboard. A situation far more difficult to maintain than the average person would believe.

How hard can it be to sit. We all do that, don't even need training. Well, most of us anyway. It comes automatically. "I'm tired." One says, then being tired, finds a way to resolve that situation, hence the sitting.

I can do the sitting. I've had years of experience with the sitting. Chairs are particularly handy things to sit in, so I have no trouble with sitting in a chair.

First part is covered.

Fingers on keyboard. I'm doing that now. I do that when I'm checking email, on FaceBook, puttering about on websites. That, clearly, isn't my problem. I may type slow (yes, four finger "sight" typist here- deal with it), but I am fine on a keyboard.

So Ass in chair (check) fingers on keyboard (double check).

But nothing is being written. No wonderful words are springing forth to finish this novel. Nope, it's just sitting there- unfinished. It seems this insidious problem plaguing many authors goes far further than we expected. Not only must we AIC FOK- we must also create. Now this just seems far too unfair. I've AIC FOK, I should be done. Writing's easy, right?

No, it's not. Only a certain level of slightly mad, and very odd, people go beyond AIC FOK. They force the ideas to come out. When the ideas don't come out, they write anyway. When the fingers and mind are particularly ornery they go and babble to no one in particular on a blog. Until they finally decide- enough. Tonight I really don't want to write. I love my books, I do...it's the writing I don't always enjoy. Now that's not true completely, it's just that sometimes, just sometimes mind you, you get caught up in the story and want to hear the end. But the only problem is that you haven't written it.

Today's quote:

Peter De Vries: "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork."

That is so very very true for me and I'm sure many other writers.

Now, babbling done- I go to do my 1,000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment